Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fried Eggs in Bread Crumbs

I live in New York City. Good bread is one block away. GREAT bread is five blocks away. The place where I get sandwiches for lunch uses bread from Jim Lahey's Sullivan Street Bakery. For goodness sake, I can GO to Sullivan Street Bakery.

On my way out of town on Friday nights, I stop at the 131st Street Fairway to shop. I usually buy a loaf of Bread Alone's delicious Whole Grain Health Bread made with organic ingredients, and I eat a piece as part of Sunday morning breakfast - two slices of Sunday Morning Bacon, one poached egg, and a slice of toast




buttered and spread with Swedish orange and elderflower marmalade from Ikea.





So in 2006 when Mark Bittman wrote his article in the New York Times about Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread, I read it, emailed it to myself, and put it in my Recipes to Try folder. I wanted to make it, but it wasn't urgent. It was just there waiting for when I got around to it.

What was I thinking?




That is a picture of the loaf of bread I made last Sunday. Did you hear me? A loaf of bread I made following Jim Lahey's specific instructions in My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method.

It's especially thrilling because not only was it fantastic, now when I'm in the country for more than three days, I don't have to rely on bread I have stowed away in the freezer. In about one minute flat, I can put together ingredients that will rise for 12 to 18 hours in a bowl, then be turned onto a towel to rise for two hours more,





get plopped in the oven, and 45 minutes later emerge as a glorious golden/brown loaf with a serious crust.

When I tasted the first piece of my own bread, I knew The Zuni Cafe Cookbook recipe Kate at Savour-Fare turned me on to would be my next recipe.

And it was.

Fried Eggs in Bread Crumbs
Eggs, Page 179

I sliced a piece of my own bread, cut off the crusts, and blasted it in my small food processor



to make the requisite bread crumbs.




I put the bread crumbs into my carbon steel skillet, sprinkled them with a little Maldon Salt crushed with my fingers. I drizzled the salted crumbs with a little olive oil and heated them.





As soon as the bread crumbs started to color, I washed a fresh egg, dried it, and broke it into the skillet.





I don't like my eggs over easy, so I clapped the lid from a six-quart pot on top of the egg



so the white would cook, and the yolk would stay soft.




I gilded the lily and put the egg with the bread crumbs over Spaghettini Aglio Olio. Since the linguine had garlic and parsley in it, I didn't use the optional thyme, marjoram, or rosemary. For the same reason, I also eliminated the balsamic vinegar step, but it sure does sound good.


An Egg Fried in Bread Crumbs over Spaghettini Aglio Olio with Escarole Salad


Sylvano snoozed through the whole recipe!


3 comments:

Kate @ Savour Fare said...

Eggs fried in breadcrumbs is a regular weeknight dinner in our house (I usually use panko, but no knead bread sounds good too!)

Michaela at The Gardener's Eden said...

Hello Victoria, It's been so long since I checked in on Cooking Zuni. I have Vic's Recipes in my RSS feed, but not this one. SO funny. I just tried the no-knead bread too! My boyfriend bribed me with a new Dutch oven! It's wonderful, isn't it? I made mine with rosemary. Now you have given me inspiration for the leftover bread crumbs. Mmmmm !
Hope you had a great holiday season.
xo Michaela

pegasuslegend said...

What a sweet kitty! I love the eggs as well, was a wonderful blog love the pictures! thanks for sharing with me....