Thursday, June 25, 2009

Potatoes Gribiche and a Raffle

A Zuni Extra

Since I wrote my first Zuni post last June, I thought it would be a good time to raffle off a copy of the book. It's a wonderful book, well worth having in your library to cook from, to read cover-to-cover for pleasure, and/or to keep on your nightstand to peruse at will.

So if your interested, just post a comment saying you want to be included, and on Friday, July tenth, at 7:00 a.m. EST, I'll choose one of you at random and post the winner. The winner can email me his or her mailing address, and I'll send the book right away.

Potatoes Gribiche

This wasn't going to be my next post. But it is summer - even here in New York, where it was s-l-o-w to arrive - and July Fourth is rapidly approaching.

July Fourth always makes me think about........potato salad.

The first July Fourth after I met Carolyn, I had been cooking enthusiastically on a daily basis for ten years. So when Carolyn suggested we have a July Fourth picnic at her beautiful house in Buckhead, with a large back porch overlooking a lush and very private garden, it seemed like the best way to spend the day.

When I asked Carolyn what I could make, she casually said, "Oh, you can make potato salad."

Fine, no problem was my first thought. It didn't even occur to me that - for some inexplicable reason - I had never made potato salad before. I pulled out a cookbook - probably Joy or Fanny Farmer - found a recipe that sounded good, and made it. According to the recipe I boiled the potatoes and then peeled them while they were too hot to handle. It was a HUGE pain; I hated making it. But the salad was delicious, and everyone ate it with gusto. I didn't even mind the little smile (was it a smirk?) Carolyn gave me when I handed her the bowl of potato salad and said, "Thanks. Next time you can make potato salad."

However, as good as it was, I never made it again. Anytime I was called on to bring something like it to a party or picnic or pot luck, I made The Store Ziti Salad. And if I felt like I needed a potato salad, I left the skins on the potatoes and made it European-style with oil and vinegar, hold the mayo. (Ina Garten has a good one in The Barefoot Contessa called French Potato Salad.)

When I made Four Minute Sauce Gribiche from Zuni, I wasn't thinking about potatoes. I was thinking about asparagus. It was spring; asparagus were everywhere - even in my own garden. So it seemed like a natural recipe to choose at that particular time.

I made the sauce, and served it on top of cold asparagus. It was good. Then I took a tip from Molly and used it to dress the leftover steamed potatoes before I put them in the refrigerator. Voila; the next day I had the best, THE BEST, potato salad I had ever eaten. I knew I had a keeper.

So I made it again just for potatoes, and I was right. They were fabulous - an instant addition to my repertoire.




This time I didn't have chervil so I did without it, and I used tarragon in place of the dill I used the first time.


I liked it, but then I am a big fan of licorice, so tarragon was a good choice for me. The dill was delicious too, so mess around with all your favorite herbs to see what combination you like best and consider what herbs go nicely with the other dishes on your menu.

I served the potato salad with a crisp rotisseried chicken and a mango pineapple salsa I loosely adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook. (In that incarnation it is made with papaya, but I'll take mango over papaya any day of the week.)




There are a few requirements for this potato salad.




(1) Steam the potatoes rather than boiling them. This way they won't be waterlogged. Checking with a cake tester will let you know when they have reached the right consistency.

(2) This is important. Let the potatoes cool before adding the Sauce Gribiche so they won't absorb too much of the sauce and so they won't thin the sauce out. You want the sauce to maintain its mayonnaise-like consistency.

(3) Chill the dish completely before serving, preferably overnight.

(4) Taste right before serving to make sure it has enough salt.

If you're having a picnic on July Fourth, call me. I'll bring the potato salad.


Sylvano

42 comments:

Jarek said...

Hi, Great Blog, I would like to be included.

Unknown said...

I'm wondering if a few home-cured bacon bits would even make the the Gribiche-Potato salad more 4th of July worthy and delicious on a new level. Two birds with one stone!
Please include me on the raffle for the Zuni book. It's one of those books (like Bertolli's Cooking by Hand) that I cannot believe I still don't own.

PaigeKS said...

Hello. I have been enjoying your blog! Very fun. I would love to be included in the raffle. Thanks!

Lauren K. said...

What a nice gesture! I would love to be included in the raffle. I really enjoy both your blogs.

Unknown said...

I would like to be included in the raffle.

Unknown said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog today and it's great fun to read.

Please include me in your raffle. Thanks!

Janet said...

That potato salad sounds amazing! I will be sure to get it a try.
Please include me in your raffle draw. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The cover of your cookbook looks wonderful...very inviting and warm.
Please include me in your raffle.
Thanks! Lori

Natalie said...

Count me in!!! Please!!!

Nicole said...

Please include me. Thanks!

hanne said...

I don't need to be included in your raffle because I've already got a much-loved copy of the cookbook. I just wanted to say that that sauce gribiche looks amazing. I always appreciate the reminder to go back to this book.

lf said...

so funny! i had just made a list of cookbooks that i wanted and the zuni cookbook was one of them... in case you were wondering the other two were "the perfect scoop" by david Lebovitz and "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day". =)
anyways. please include me in the raffle! keep up the great work!

Your Chef said...

Nice stories. Please include me in the raffle.

Tamaron said...

I'd like to be included, thank you!

Kaitlyn said...

Hi! Great blog, I would like to be included.

LaurenLivingLocally said...

Hi! I'd love to be included.

irishgrl said...

I've been loving your blog!
Please include me in the raffle!

Unknown said...

Hello

Please include me in the raffle

Thanks

Martina said...

Hi Victoria,
I would love to be included in the raffle.
Thank you!

Anni said...

How generous of you! Please include me in the raffle. Thank you!

JordanLee said...

Very nice blog. Love the photos. Could you include me in the raffle?

Erika CC said...

I would like to be included in the raffle!

Chef Murph said...

Dear Victoria,

I've read Molly's post on making sauce gribiche and how much she adores the Zuni Cookbook, so I was already tempted to try it out for myself and buy the book. But now that I've found your blog and know that I have a lot of potatoes sitting in my cupboard, I don't know how I can avoid the temptation any longer!

My aunt and uncle have a copy of this book and I look at it every time that I go to their house. I haven't bought it yet for myself because I'm just waiting to have a bit more extra cash to throw around. For the time being, I'll hope you include me in the raffle! and I'll continue reading your blog, living vicariously through you!

Judy

michaela said...

Thank you again for the email note, and for sending me a link to your wonderful blogs. You can count me among your new fans, and I will look forward to cooking both Zuni and Vic !

Of course I would like to be included in the raffle... this looks like a fabulous book !

Thank you,
Michaela
www.thegarderseden.com

michaela said...

Thank you again for the email note, and for sending me a link to your wonderful blogs. You can count me among your new fans, and I will look forward to cooking both Zuni and Vic !

Of course I would like to be included in the raffle... this looks like a fabulous book !

Thank you,
Michaela
www.thegardenerseden.com

Joni Pypers said...

Love to be included. Thanks!

Katty said...

Please include me in the raffle. Thanks!

Caroline said...

I really enjoy reading your blog! Please include me in your raffle. Thank you kindly.

Marie M. said...

I just discovered your site via Orangette. Beautiful. I live in San Francisco and ate at The Zuni Cafe once. Don't remember what I ate but I do remember seeing a huge plate of matchstick potatoes and thinking that's what I'm ordering next time.

It's 62 here and overcast. Brrr. Hope it's warm and wonderful were your are.

Happy Fourth America!

Marie M. said...

Oops. I forgot to say please include me in the raffle for the Zuni cookbook. I'd love to have it.

Correction: I meant "where" not "were".

Anonymous said...

Potato salad sounds like a good summer meal to have at a barbecue.

Truly, Dee said...

Hello! I too would like to be included. I've been in dire need of a cookbook. Thanks!

Teresa said...

I've been missing Molly's blog but am so happy to discover yours, it's also a great read!!! Please include me in your Zuni Cookbook raffle, I'm reading it now from my public library and would love to own it!

Bridgit said...

I love raffles and reading cook books cover to cover. That said, I'd love to be included in your raffle and I'm going out to get potatoes tomorrow just to make this delicious sounding salad.

Ashlea Taylor said...

I would love to be included as well! Looks great!

lydia j. said...

i love this recipe (i ate my body weight in it on the 4th!). please count me in for the raffle! and thanks:)

Anonymous said...

I would also love to be included in the raffle! I've heard great things about the Zuni Cafe and am always looking to expand my culinary repetoire.

LauraJ said...

Please include me in the raffle. I ate a Zuni Cafe for the first time recently...had the wonderful chicken!

Michelle said...

I would love to be included in the raffle - and this book is at the top of my list. This summer I have made the biggest effort ever to prepare fresh, local, seasonal, organic food for my family - which includes two, very hungry, college kids. And the irony is, it really doesn't cost more to eat this way. However, I am in need of a few good recipes to liven things up a bit and add some variety to our lives. This cookbook would be a great help. Also, I am so glad you posted the chicken recipe on your site. Can't wait to try it this week.

Trude said...

Hi, I would like to be included in the raffle. Thank you!

Sara said...

I would love to have a chance at winning this book. I just discovered it this summer. Cooking fresh and local is a labor of love, esp when you have 3 other labor of loves under the age of 7 :)

E Caley Ferguson said...

Pick me! Pick me!